There are some startling statistics out there dealing with youth and spirituality. Here’s one of many: Did you know that only 1 in 4 youth who are active in a youth ministry while they are in high school will remain committed to their Christian faith after graduation?
However, there are some hopeful statistics out there, too. A recent study found that youth whose parents are actively involved in their spiritual formation are almost 300% more likely to remain committed to their faith after graduating from high school.
Success is seeing volunteers loving students and finding great satisfaction in it." - spoken by a wise youth pastor
If you love God and would like to serve by spending time with young people or by doing behind the scenes work, we have many opportunities for you. Youth workers are people devoted to disciplining young people in their walks with Christ and those who seek to empower others to do so. If you desire to join a vibrant, energetic team of volunteers who enjoy working with young people, please contact Rosanne Schenck in the youth office for more information at or 615.324.7251.
We understand that parenting teenagers is not an easy task. More than anything else, we want to be a resource for you as you seek to navigate the sometimes turbulent waters of your child’s teenage years. Our ministry seeks to equip you to talk about matters of faith at home, to connect you with a network of parents with whom you can share the joys and struggles of parenting, and to make a true difference in the life of your middle or high school student.
In our parents section, you will find information on what’s happening in our ministry, ways you can be involved, and resources for you as the parent of a teenage student.
All of our volunteers working with young people need to complete an online background check with BUMC (the link is provided below) as well as go through our Safe Sanctuary Training. To find out if we have record of either of these items for you or for the next training date, please contact Rosanne Scenck at or 615.324.7251.
Current Volunteer Needs
- Retreat & Mission Trip Chaperones We need adults to serve in various capacities on all of our trips. With Expand Fall High School Overnight, Merge Fall Middle School Retreat, and Breakthru Winter Retreat for all grades, adults can serve as Support Staff or Small Group Leaders. With mission trips, adults are chaperones and leaders who also serve themselves. This is a great opportunity for you to serve, lead, and get to know the students in our ministry. For more info on specific trip needs, contact Tatiana Liston at or 577.7271.
- Barnabas Friends for College Students Remember when you were in college, far away from home and you would get a special card in the mail. Wasn’t that a great feeling to know that someone was thinking about you? If you have a desire to serve and have a passion for writing notes, we need YOU! Barnabas Friends is ministry to reach out to and encourage our college students from October - May. For more information or if have any questions, please contact Reeju Davis at .
- Sunday Morning Greeters greet students on Sunday morning helping them to feel welcome and lead small discussion groups throughout the lesson. You can serve in Middle School or High School Sunday School, every other month or every Sunday. If interested, please contact Lindsay Brooks at .
- Youth Café Volunteer opportunity for Students and Adults on Sunday mornings to help deliver coffee to Sunday School classes or serve in the Cafe using gifts of hospitality and service. Please contact our Cafe Coordinator Eli Perkins at .
- Additional Youth Café Volunteer Opportunity for Adults to help work in the café during the pre-Sunday school time (9:30am-9:50am) and during Sunday school (9:45am-10:45am). If interested contact Jim Enright at .